Wiener...Ready For Takeoff!

Wiener...Ready For Takeoff!
Wiener...Ready For Takeoff!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chatuchak Weekend Market

Early this morning mommy and daddy left me home alone and ventured out to visit the Chatuchak Weekend Market (จตุจักร), or J.J. Market if you're a local. Usually when I get ditched at home, they make sure to leave the TV on so I don't get lonely. Today was an extra special day because they were nice enough to put on an English speaking channel, as opposed to the usual Thai soap operas. I spent my day posted up on the couch, watching HBO movies and reruns of American Idol episodes while sipping a slightly chilled H20 cocktail. My day would've been perfect, except I swear the water's been tasting kinda funny lately. I have an inclination mommy and daddy have begun gradually mixing in local water with my usual bottled beverage. Keep your paws crossed my gut can stomach it!


Photo credits go to Daddy Stewart!
Don't go chasing waterfalls!!!

I could smell these cooking from our condo!
Typically I hate being left home alone while mommy and daddy are out scoping the city, but I think the Chatuchak Market might have been a little overwhelming for me. Covering 35 acres, with upwards of 15,000 stalls and an average of 200,000+ visitors per day, I probably would've ended up a trampled tube, squashed sausage, and undoubtedly a sweaty wiener. Being a low rider has many benefits, but in large crowds and situations like these I can often get overlooked and accidentally stepped on. Even though Chatuchak Market is the largest market in Thailand and one of the biggest in all of Asia, I didn't mind sitting this one out! I also figured if I was a good boy they might bring me home something to play with. After all, this market has anything and everything! Furniture, household items, Thai handicrafts, food, plants, antiques, art, clothing, live critters, and even pups just like myself. Mommy said I should be thankful for what I have...apparently the pooches there have it pretty rough.


At least they're honest!

Arriving at 9:00am slathered in sunscreen and loaded up with bottled water, they were ready for some serious bargaining. By getting there at opening the hope was to squeeze in some good deals before the onslaught of the big crowds...and also beat the oppressive heat! First they circled the outer perimeter while weaving in and out of the smaller soi (streets). They wandered from stall to stall browsing each vendor's vast selection. With vivid bright colors and an unbelievable array of products, it definitely was a visual feast for the eyes. There was just about everything you could imagine...if this place doesn't have it, you probably don't need it!







 

By noon it was beginning to heat up and the flow of pedestrian traffic had significantly increased. They continued shopping around with sweat dripping down their faces, their shirts soaked to the point they could've been rung out like wet rags. Mommy was near melting point so they decided to grab a refreshing bag of cha yen (ชาเย็น), Thai iced tea, and headed to the shade for a quick break. The shade wasn't much cooler than being in the sun, but the ice cold tea was absolutely delicious. Shortly thereafter, mommy apparently used her incredibly persuasive bargaining skills and got some good deals on a few things to put in our new home. After making one final pass through the market they began the long walk back to the BTS. Collapsing in their seats, they throughly enjoyed the ride home in the frigid air conditioned train. The Chatuchak Market brings new meaning to exhaustion...they literally shopped till they dropped!

Tea Bag!


Much to my surprise, mommy and daddy brought me home a new toy from J.J. Market. We'll see how long I leave the squeaker in this guy! I played with him all night. Tossing him in the air, scratching at his eyeballs, and rolling around for hours definitely made me one tired wiener. OK, OK...I promise I'll ease up on the wiener jokes...well probably not, but at least for a little while! 



I should sue!!!

1 comment: